Skip to main content

Augustana Hospital Auxiliary Records

 Collection
Identifier: SAAGC/037
This collection includes correspondence, event files, promotional material, membership information, and a nearly complete run of meeting minutes documenting the mission and activities of the Augustana Hospital Auxiliary.  The collection is complemented by yearbooks from Augustana Hospital School of Nursing in Chicago.

Dates

  • 1904 - 1990

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no access restrictions on the materials, and the collection is open to all members of the public. However, the researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright that may be involved in the use of this collection.

Extent

10.0 Linear Feet (20 containers)

Biographical / Historical

The Auxiliary was founded in 1906 to support Augustana Hospital (named The Deaconess Institute of the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church until 1924). The hospital opened in 1884 on the corner of Lincoln and Cleveland Avenues in Chicago. In an effort to increase support of the hospital, Pastor M. Wahlstrom of Messiah Lutheran Church established the Auxiliary with the name of Messiah Hospital Society. The group’s first president, Mrs. Theodore Freeman, presided over quarterly meetings in various members’ houses. The name was changed to the Augustana Hospital Society in 1910 and in 1937 to the Augustana Hospital Auxiliary. The professed purpose of the group was “to help give free care to patients not able to pay, thus performing a mission of Christian service.” The Auxiliary supported the hospital through volunteer service and fundraising. Activities included the Coffee and Gift Shop, sponsored events, and annual benefit programs including ice shows, concerts and fashion shows.

Arrangement

Arranged by material type and then chronologically.
Sponsor
Funding to migrate and update this finding aid was provided by the Swedish Council of America through the 2019 grant "Improving and Expanding Access to the Swedish–American Archives of Greater Chicago."

Repository Details

Part of the Swedish-American Archives of Greater Chicago Repository

Contact:
3225 W Foster Ave
Box 38
Chicago IL 60625 USA
773-583-5722